Friday, September 21, 2012

Can you see?


My math teacher, who solemnly held me for a true example of being the worst student in the class of 10th, would meet the shock of his life if he was unfortunate to witness any one of my training sessions.
Only with trembling heart beats could I attend this teacher`s lessons.
“He is a bad example for all of you!”
He added fervently to my bench mate and a bright student in his standard:” if you continue to sit with him, you are going to spoil your life. Better escape!”
Self-esteem is the best asset any student can and should possess, I feel. I lost 50% of it in my math periods, but somehow balanced it with language and history classes.
I was a very introverted boy. Books were the best friends and continuous reading caused my vision to blur. Reading the chalk entries on black boards became an impossible task. Still I didn’t tell my family or friends about my problem. I couldn`t read the math equations and steps my teacher wrote on the board and naturally math lessons became living nightmares. All I could do was to copy my friend’s notebook. Whatever mistakes he made was mine too.
 My math teacher took a sadistic pleasure in tormenting me, especially in front of girls. He couldn’t identify the problem with my vision. He didn’t try to know why I was week in math; he didn’t give me a willing ear to listen to my problems in his subject.
This is the 15th year of my life as a teacher. Almost all my classes I ask this question to my students:
“Can you see what I wrote on the board properly?”

"I looked, looked deep within...and I saw!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment